Tax Documents Guide

A quick guide on tax documents: What they are, what they look like and where to find them!

Before submitting your R&D claim with Claimer, you will need to have submitted your tax documents to HMRC. This is essential because we file the tax documents as an amendment to your original filing with HMRC!

Tax Return (CT600)

What is a CT600?

The ‘CT600’ is a company’s tax return for the accounting period you are claiming for; the form is usually green and should have been submitted to HMRC alongside the company accounts and tax computations. The CT600 should contain the company name and details, including the Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number. Claimer will be submitting your CT600 as an amendment to the R&D section, so it is important that the CT600 matches your claim’s accounting period and company details!

What does a CT600 look like?

The uploaded CT600 must be the same CT600 that was submitted to HMRC. As shown below, the CT600 should have the ‘Company Information’ section completed, alongside the return period. It is very important to have the right information here because as previously mentioned, we will be submitting your claim as an amendment to your original CT600 submission.

What do I do if my accounting period is shorter or longer than 12 months?

Don’t worry if your accounting period isn’t 12 months. If you received an extension, you should have two tax returns reflecting the initial accounting period and then the extended period. You will be able to upload these to the tax documents section, just make sure that the accounting period entered into the claim matches the one on your CT600!

Company Accounts

What are company accounts?

The uploaded company accounts must be the same company accounts that were submitted to HMRC. The company accounts should include the correct accounting period and company details as well as a detailed ‘Profit and Loss’ statement and balance sheet. This is essential because we need to see your company’s costs, such as staffing, rent etc. The details in the accounts must match the costs submitted in the claim; this is crucial because when we work on your claim, we need to match the costs claimed with the accounts’ costs.

Tax Computations

What are tax computations?

Tax computations outline the annual tax adjustments for the company’s accounting period. Tax computations essentially summarise the income of the company for the accounting period, illustrating any profits chargeable to corporation tax. It is important that we have the tax computations because we need to see any tax adjustments for the claim period, regardless of whether your company is profit making, breaking even or loss making.

What do tax computations look like?

Tax computations can vary, as there is no standard format. However, the tax computations usually include the line, “Profits chargeable to corporation tax”, alongside the figure. This is required even if your corporation tax liability is £0. The main thing is that the document outlines the company's trading profit and losses for the claim period.

Here’s some examples of tax computations:

As shown above, these look quite different. However, it often includes a line stating, “Profits chargeable to corporation tax”. Do not be worried if yours doesn't, as long as it includes the relevant information relating to corporation tax for your company!

Where can I find tax computations?

The tax computations should have been filed alongside your CT600 and company accounts, so it is best to ask your accountant and/or check your filing software!

Did this answer your question?